5.27.2010

Jumpsuit's Gone

5.27.2010
Despite my sleep deprived night, last night was great! I heard the best news! After the phone call, my mind kept spining, thinking, and thanking. My dear friend, Yves, has been in jail since last August. He was picked up for a broken tail light and ended up being taken to immagration. His family is on lifetime "refugee" visa's from the Congo. However, for one reason or another Yves has been applying for this visa for a long time. While you are in the application process you are given a social security number. You can go to school, live, and work. BUT, if they immagration gets to you then they can deport you. SO, its been nine months of letters, vistation, and one or two phone calls from a federal institution. And, last night was delighted to hear my friend voice on the other end of the phone. He is free. Free to live here.

Immagration is an issue in our country. I have issues with illegals. But, mexico isn't the Congo. They aren't in war, physical torture, hard labors, rape, and starvation.

Today I'm celebrating in Yves-Alec's freedom. I'm sure he's so glad to be out of a jumpsuit and into real clothes. We take so much for granted. I have seen Yves grow, mature, and flourish while he's been locked up.

In his words: “I experienced a lot of joy and pains. I’m back to vent a little, teach little, laugh a little, provoke a little, but ultimately to share my heart to whoever want to read the everyday struggles, thoughts and opinions of an everyday man. You are invited to “Yvesdrop” and get scoops on what’s going on in my head, my heart and my world.”

No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio