5.28.2011

Restaurant Guide

5.28.2011

This time last year, Ted was deployed to the Gulf due to the horrific oil spill. Shortly after he landed in New Orleans, I decided to follow. I spent time with family, friends, and many days by the pool while he helped with the clean up. It was a perfect time to be back 'home' and stop in on all my favorite spots. We had been gone for only a few months and I missed it dearly. Now, I haven't been back in about 10-11 months and I'm missing it again. New Orleans is truly unique adn the perfect foodie city. Some say Philadelphia is the ultimate foodie city but I'd have to differ. NOLA is far better.

Other than food, New Orleans still has so much to offer. Yes, ignore the humidity and broiling hot weather and it's the perfect city. Even if I hadn't spent ten years in the city, I'd probably think the same after one visit and it would become a tradition to go back. Gorgeous clothing shops, local coffee shops gallore, gigantic shady trees stretching over streets, tons of culture, and a huge family. Seriously, the city is one big creole melting pot and they have gone through some crazy disasters and pulled through together. I could continue but I'll go on to my favorite foodie spots:



Restaurants:

Ignatius Eatery: Ted and I love sitting with friends on the sidewalk and enjoying brunch. You can't go wrong with anything on the menu. Poboys, etouffe, a muffaletta, seafood omelet.... all is delish! Located uptown at 4200 Magazine Street.

Jacques-Imo's Cafe: Enjoy a complete cajun experience at dinner. You may have to stand in a line before being seated on a weekend night but it's well worth the chit chat on the sidewalk. Anytime someone request's cajun food Jacques-Imo's is one of the places I suggest. Located uptown at 8324 Oak Street.


Want to share your favorite restaurant spots in your town. Email me: t_varnado (at) hotmail (dot) come. Contunue after the jump:


Irene's Cuisine: Irene's is a place for a fancy romantic date in the French Quarter. Ted loves their duck dinner plate and who wouldn't.. ..duck with raspberry and pancetta demi-glace. All the appetizers are worth orderign and I'd imagine everything on the menu. We've been to diner twice and both times was a memorable experience. Supposively, Brad Pitt has been seen to pop in for dinner. Located in the French Quarter at 539 Saint Philip St.

The Creole Creamery: Everyone loves ice cream, right? Except for the ones that suffer like me (I'm highly allergic) but Ted loves is as do most of our friends. Many nights we'd head over here to get a scoop or two. If you are daring you can try the Tchoupitoulas challenge (eights scoops of ice cream with eight toppings served sundae style). Located uptown at 4924 Prytania St. Website www.creolecreamery.com

Sucre: Fashionably delicious dessert. Date night, girls night, gifts... perfect spot with several options of gelato, macaroons, and chocolates. Located uptown at 3045 Magazine Street. Website www.shopsucre.com

Sake: My all tiem favorite sushi restaurant. I dream about eating Sake and even go as far as to toy with the idea of flying back to NOLA for the sole purpose of getting sushi here. I have yet to find sushi anywhere that is comparable. All their sushi rolls and sashami is superb. It's like an orgasm in your mouth. They have several snow crab options that I love. I always order an appetizer of Haru Maki. The spicy wasabi sauce is amazingly addicting and I like to dip my rolls in it so I order extra. They have several locations all over the New Orleans metro area. Located uptown at 2830 Magazine St.

Lebanon's: A middle eastern cafe that is absolutely worth trekking into. The menu is filled with so many wonderful items. The eggplant sandwich, lentil soup, and grape leaves are some of my frequent orders. Located uptown at 1500 S. Carrollton. Website www.lebanoncafe.com

Slim Goodies: A hipster diner right next to tons of shopping. Great breakfast menu and fun atmosphere! You may be seated next to a stranger but it makes for the experience. Their juices aren't worth ordering because of the small over priced portions which is my only complaint. Seriously love this breakfast spot and totally worth a 10-15 minute wait on a busy weekend morning. Located uptown at 3222 Magazine St.

Angeli: I started eating at Angeli's in high school (thought it was such a good French Quarter spot with gutter-punkish servers) and continued for years. During the wekk, they project old movies on the wall. It's a spot I love to order pizza (the pie's are huge and we always have leftovers). I also love their sundried tomato vinaigrette that comes with the greek salad and if your in the mood for spaghetti and meatballs (it's not on the menu but ask your server) is so good. It's a perfect late night spot with late night/early morning hours. Located in the French Quarter at 1141 Decatur St. Website www.angelirestaurant.com

Cheesecake Bistro: No, not Cheesecake Factory!! Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro is what I'm talking about. Order the crawfish ravoili...the spice cream sauce with fried ravioli is a revelation. I don't eat cheesacke (allergic) but Ted does. They have some of the best bread pudding with a white chocolate sauce. FYI, if you are wanting to seat a party they will not seat you unless the entire party is present. Located uptown at 2001 St. Charles Ave. Website www.copelandscheesecakebistro.com

Port of Call: Don't eat burgers? Well, make an exception! I didn't eat burgers (still to this day have never had a fast food hamburger...thanks mom!), but fell in love at Port of Call. Perfect place to convert a vegetarian. The menu is simple with only a few things listed. It doesn't need much to be great. There is almost always a line standing out the door so don't let it scare you. Inside, it feels like you've been kidnapped by pirates and the burgers...yeah eat one and you'll know what I'm talking about. Located at the end of the French Quarter at 838 Esplande AVe. Website www.portofcallnola.com

Jazimine Cafe: Best Vietnamese food I've ever had (and I grew up around several great places in NY). Their noodle bowls are wonderful. Enjoy a bubble tea for dessert. Spring rolls, soups, fresh jumbo shrimp. Located at 614 S. Carrollton Ave.

La Boulangerie: Last but certainly NOT least is this delish bakery right on Magazine. They make fresh croissants, danishes, muffines, jams, etc. daily! And they are truly breathtaking. It was just a block from our old church so more Sundays than not we'd stop in for something yummy. Located uptown at 4600 Magazine St.

Other various places worth mentioning: Rue De La Course, Panola Street Cafe, Commander's Palace, Mullates, Byblos, Dick & Jenny's, Felipe's, Drago's, The Gumbo Shop.

No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio