12.16.2013

Screens

12.16.2013
Last mother's day, my brother's and I gifted an iPhone to my mom. This was a big jump for her and blessing. She learned little by little how to use her smart phone and since life has never been the same. The best thing about smart phones or technology is the ability to share life with those who we don't see often. Recently, my mom had to up her data plan because I send too many pictures and video. Plus you have to calculate in her facebook stalking and facetime.

I usually send at the least one picture to my mom daily. And usually there is a video of the day too. One day I was sitting on the couch reviewing the video I was about to send, Wells snuggled up on my lap happy as can be. I sent the video and put the phone down. Wells m e l t e d. Full out dramatics. I decided to try something and I brought my phone back into view. He i m m e d i a t e l y stopped. Reaching, grabbing, until I played the video again at which he smiled a few happy grunts. I put the phone away and cue the second meltdown. So, I looked Wells in the eyes and told him enough with screens. I flew him through the air and onto the ground were we played happily with actually toys. 

I've thought countless times about screens. 

Here are some questions I've asked myself: How many times are you checking your phone? How much does the TV need to be on? Do you really get on your phone every time you nurse him? On and on. 

Screens are so distracting from real life and we all know it. 

What has worked for me is a few guidelines for screens that I'm trying to stick to. I don't turn the television on, check any social media, or look at a screen before I have read my Bible. I put my phone down for nursing Wells a few times a day. Breastfeeding isn't just about nourishment but bonding. Since I've implemented this rule, I've felt like we connect so much. The truth is these precious moments happen for a short period of time and then your baby is grown. So, I'm trying to savor them without screens. When Ted comes home, we typically spend time together. It organically was set into place without screens. We noted the fact that we have enjoyed all the noise and limited distractions setting it in as the norm. Sometimes we go for a walk, cook together, talk, or spend time playing with Wells. It's amazing how much time we wasted prior on stupid news. Then when we do turn the television later in the evening, we enjoy it. 

Every so often I do let Wells watch videos of himself, because it's so darn cute to watch him do so. But, as a guideline we try to limit or avoid all screens for him. For us. For each other. We've talked about locking up the television cold turkey (we just won a new television at Ted's work holiday party) but can't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

Note: The AAP guidelines for media for infants and toddlers.

No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio