11.10.2009

A small scale

11.10.2009
Setting a budget. 


We had a small budget. Right around $2,000. Originally, we had thought this can't do and tried to push our date back in hopes of working for a bigger budget. Then, reality set in and thank God it did. Why would we prolong our engagement and work endless days to feed our guests a little more, a three tiered wedding cake, and a few more invites.
Location.


Our church is located on Magazine St. in Uptown. It has the charm we were looking for. (Brick walls, wood floors, gorge bar, art decor, etc.) Limited space, second floor venue (no accommodations for wheelchairs, which ended up not being an issue since ted's grandparents weren't able to come), and a one room for everything event made us nervous at first. Scaling down our guest list to 100 people and working with a 'one room space' in the end worked out just fine.
Cakes.


Other corners were cut including looking around for wedding cakes. I looked around and gasped at prices that were half of my entire budget. In the end, I knew everything would work out even if I wasn't spending a fortune on wedding cakes, flowers, my dress, etc. I went with the flow.

I ended up thinking about ordering a small decorated cake and then purchasing a large sheet cake to cut pieces for guests. I do think this could have worked but it wasn't translating into exactly what I would like.

Decor.


I knew I wanted to bring wood into the decor. I love wood. I had thought about bringing wood into the decor and finally thought about placing cake rounds on blocks of wood. It was my way of bring the outdoors in. Living in Louisiana, I could never trust the weather, hair spray or bobby pins for an outdoor wedding.

Ted found gorgeous wood while working the Mississippi banks and brought it home. Perfecto. He cut it up in three cascading blocks. I ordered three cake rounds (1) 10 inch, (1) 8 inch, and (1) 6 inch. I explained my vision to the bakery and they ran with it (exactly how I had pictured). I wanted a simple whispy icing. Then placed orchids and little twigs.




No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio