9.10.2013

The truth about parenthood

9.10.2013

At the start of August, parenthood was fresh. I had changed. An unforced change that washed over me for the good. Prior to becoming a parent, I had many many ideas of what it would be like. For the most part nothing has been to out of the ranks of what I assumed. The biggest realization that has occurred is how judgmental I was prior to becoming a mom. I have had perceptions of what other parents should do and not to do. Like, why would you avoid medication your entire pregnancy to get knowingly doped up on pain medication to bring your child into the world. The list would be long if I were to jab out all the judgments I've passed. Everyone knows teenagers know it all until one day in their twenties the come to and realize they didn't. I've come to realize there's another group of 'know it alls' and they aren't parents yet. I've already encountered a few that buck against how I see fit for my family.

Everyone has a parenting philosophy. Pacifiers or not. Television or not. Co-sleeping or not. Cry it out or not. Reading parenting method books and stressing yourself out to follow x, y, z. Or you can follow your naturally God given instincts of parenting. All of this is new as a fresh parent. I'm a firm believer of faking it until you make it.

Whether your a parent or not I'm sure you have a mouthful to say about raising children. Before becoming a parent (and probably still), I sure did. The fact now is that I realize I was wrong. Not about what I thought was right, but about thinking everyone should fit a mold.

I judged other parents for things I now do. I judged. And, I am sorry.

Parenthood has washed a grace over me for the good. To each his own. To cloth or not to cloth. Who cares. Do what works for you to love your child the best way you know how.



No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio