7.13.2014

I will miss you PawPaw

7.13.2014

Once I heard that my PawPaw had passed, I wrote exactly first came to mind when thought of him. I ended up sharing it at the funeral yesterday. This week has been tough as I still can't believe this is our reality. He is in Heaven now and not greeting us at the door. Even though I know he is not in pain any more and in Heaven with Jesus, it's hard to feel normal without him. He was the most admired man in my life and will always cherish the person he was to me. Above is a picture I had taken of him after he finished a malt shake at Borden's in Lafayette, Louisiana in 2013. Ted and I wanted to take Pawpaw out where ever he wanted for his birthday. I told him it didn't matter the price. He said he had been thinking about a Bordern's malt milkshake for years but never wanted to splurge. We splurged!

I am so thankful for that per my older brother's suggestion, I recorded several of our long conversations these passed two years. They are so precious to me and will always play them to hear his voice. He was a beautiful person inside and out. Stern but graceful. I love you, Pawpaw. Below is what I shared at his funeral and a few photos that I could gather without all my stuff (in between moves).


I have so many memories that I could mention that sum up my relationship with my PawPaw to describe the kind of man he was. Most of my memories involve something dangerous like when he had me teach him how to do a cartwheel in the backyard. Or time he let me wander through the woods and sit in a deer stand with him in New Jersey with him.  We got caught in a thorn bush. I was unscratched but he was gushing blood. He never let me forget how wide my eyes were and how scared I was of his bleeding hand. He also taught me to ride a bicycle with we lived in New York City. He said I was a natural until I rode right into a lady pushing her baby in a stroller. He was ruthless in a game of four square and always encouraged me to play my hardest not letting up for anyone. That carried over to when I played soccer and he would come to my games in the Cajun Dome. 


My pawpaw was always making me laugh like the time I taught him a little dance to "Who Let The Dogs Out". When we were little he would always play games with us in the car. As the years passed, we spent countless hours around the table playing cards. All along the way he was always competitive and always doubtful of his ability to beat us. Nevertheless, 9 times out of 10 he would beat us and act like he never saw it coming. 

The last couple years, I loved our long talks. In my late teens, when I was really contemplating my faith and theology. I engaged in conversations with PawPaw. What did he believe and why? Through these talks, I learned so much more about my PawPaw than I ever had before. In the end, I believe it strengthened my faith and urged me on to further my knowledge of the Bible and my personal theology. 

I also loved talking to PawPaw about is interest in photography earlier in his life. I wasn't so much interested in the season where he had each one of us grandkids at the computer for hours organizing his photo albums again and again. 

I loved hearing his stories about being from Ranger, Texas. He loved talking about all things Texan. 

A few weeks after I started dating Ted, I brought him over to MawMaw and PawPaw's. As we were leaving to head back to New Orleans, PawPaw gave me his best hug and said "Sweet Baby, a Texan is always worth keeping". I agree. Over the years, he would always affirm me - he was so happy I found and married "shortie" his name for my tall husband Ted. He was proud that I had found a younger man. Ted is one year younger than me. And, even said I should have looked for some even younger, no offense to Ted. His idea was that a man should never die first to leave their woman alone. 

MawMaw, I know that was the hardest thing for PawPaw to grasp. He never wanted you to be alone. The fact is you are not alone. We are here. I may be living on a small island in the middle of the ocean, but I am here for you. I am so grateful for you as my Mawmaw. I learned from you how you cared for Pawpaw and how he cared for you. And, the legacy lives on as we teach our children the things that Pawpaw taught us. 

He was always tender in his affection and all the women in his life were treated like queens. Me and Kayla have a high standard of how a man should treat a woman because of how Pawpaw treated us and our moms and MawMaw. 

I will never forget how much PawPaw loved onions and orange marmalade. I will never forget the time he took to invest in my life teaching me how to change a tire, check my oil, and wash dishes while saving water. 

I am so grateful that Wells was able to meet such a wonderful great-grandfather. Each time we were in town, Pawpaw just wanted to get on the floor and play with Wells. I can't wait to share stories about what a great person he was to Wells and all my future children. 

He filled my life with joy, for the 27 1/2 years I was given with him.


The two pictures above are from our last visit in June 
This photo was taken outside the Catholic church downtown Lafayette while I was 20 weeks pregnant for Wells. That day we had taken PawPaw bird watching at Lake Martin. 
PawPaw holding Wells at one month old.
PawPaw holding me at around one year old in Bronx, New York.
Giving PawPaw a kiss. 

No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio