9.16.2014

What I've Learned About Island Life

9.16.2014


Back in February, we opened our emails in sync finding our orders and it was thrilling. Ted could have been been sent anywhere. As I called out St. Thomas, butterflies had my stomach squirming with excitement, even then I was a little nervous. I only knew little bits about the island mainly from friends who had vacationed on St. Thomas or St. John. As the news settled in, I knew that we would have to learn how life on an island would look like and adapt accordingly. The fantasy thinking of coconut lotion, sun bathing, and sipping pina colada's wasn't going to be our day to day life. Although, I did enjoy our time period in the hotel with maid service, cafe for breakfast, pool, beach, naps, spa, and so on. How would our lives really look like and what would we learn. After living in Louisiana for years, I am seasoned to heat and warm humid hugs as you step out the door. As I stepped off the airplane back in June, I was greeted with this same familiar climate. This was actually what I've been dreaming of, warm weather year around. Ideal for bringing Wells to chase waves daily. We have arrived, moved in, and are learning as we go.

The island breeze is spoken of with high regard. It's like speaking well of your best friend. She's cool, fresh, and dancing throughout the house. The whiff of the sea is a beautiful thing that locals call air conditioning. I've lived in humid heat, but I've always blasted an A/C while in doors. The first week in our home, I didn't know how I could deal with just a breeze. I now blame the extra work I was doing rummaging through boxes and unpacking our stuff. I was hot and I was worried. Would I run our electric bill into the thousands as I tried my best to deal? After about one week of limited day use of the split window units, I let go and started to enjoy the daily breeze throughout the house. It is actually fine now. We still sleep with our window unit, ceiling fan, and box fan. It's a slow progression and we never may switch our nights to open air like most do on island. The truth is electricity is extremely expensive. We were pleased with our first bill of $375, because we were fully anticipating anywhere within $500 to $800. Maybe one day we will cut back and adjust to sleeping off the breeze.

All the energy on St. Thomas is generated by WAPA. A few weeks ago, when they were unable to receive their fuel shipment the entire island was on a rotation of power. Meaning, the island was zoned and there were blocks of about 4-6 hours when your electricity would turn off. This lasted until they were able to receive their shipment. We have learned to be very attentive to the energy we use and it doesn't end there. St. Thomas relies on rain water to fill cisterns for water supply. This means unlike vacationeers, locals love when it rains filling their supply. When in drought or if you use your supply, there is water trucks who can deliver water at I'm assuming a huge expense. So, we have a beautiful view off our bathtub, but truth is I'm not soaking in it daily. We use our dishwasher, washing machine, and other daily water mindfully but fairly normal just within a new perspective. It's a great habit that whether on island or not wouldn't hurt to adapt. We live in a gated community with a few more normal mainland amenities like the fact that we pay for our water and don't run off a personal cistern. We also curb our trash. Locals load their daily trash and drop off at dumpsters located all over the island. Being conscious of consumption is something that is very mainstream, but here it has been put int even better perspective.

The cost of living is high as reality of WAPA sets in. Grocery shopping also takes a new frame of mind. I have seen strawberries cost 18.99 per pound and they weren't even organic. Whole foods stateside seems inexpensive in comparison to island shopping. (Whole Foods, I won't complain about your perfect $6.99 Kale any longer.) We shop about the same here as we did in Philly, running to several stores to complete your grocery loot. I have yet to find a crisp cucumber or head of lettuce. They come bruised and mushy. Tomatoes seem sparse. We cook more goat than pork, finally making Ted a believer in more gamey cuts of meat. All our consumable water is purchased. Organics are usually bought frozen and herbs from local farmers market. The shelf life of most items is extremely limited after you factor in how long the item has been on ship, shelf, and then in your house.

Perfume makes me feel like a beautiful woman. It's something that as a new mom is like a spritz of heaven. My newest scent is mosquito repellant, in any form. Coconut oil at home and when I need something stronger, because there are many times I do, I even use deet. Truth is, mosquitos here carry disease. You have to pick your battle. Wells had a 9 day island virus. We never confirmed what he had, but it was miserable. I protect Wells with wearing stronger repellant myself and using coconut oil, essential oils, and an organic all natural repellant. Our mosquito zapper is usually found next to me while I am watching the news or cooking dinner, always ready to zap away the blood suckers.

If the disease carrying mosquitos aren't bad enough, there are so many other crawlers. We actually went to look at this one house that had a stunning kitchen, great living space, pool, and amazing breeze; b-u-t, you have to coexist with lizards. It was there badge of honor with lizard art work hanging on the walls. The logic of the house was the lizards eat the other bugs you really don't want to live with. Only problem, they poop everywhere. I laughed, no thanks! I've seen a few crawlers in our home like spiders, sugar ants, centipedes, moths, and other unknown bugs. We even caught a mouse that we realized was living in our outside grill. We do have an exterminator and I'm thinking of putting him on speed dial.

The island is 13 miles long and 3 miles wide. Everywhere we go, even after only living here three months, we see someone we know. It really has that small town feel. Most people we have met have been very warm and friendly. We made friends with all the employee's during our six week stint at the Marriott. We have also met several parents who have toddlers of their own through a tot facebook group. Some might think coming to live on an island with kids wouldn't be the best idea and I'd differ. I think, it is great. It is a wonderful community to be apart of. The elementary schools from what I hear aren't half bad and the private schools are phenomenal. We are looking into putting Wells in Montessori. You may have to pay for schooling, but where I am from that is the norm.

Originally, I had my heart set on the dream of living in Hawaii. Although, I do believe we would have found things we equally loved about Hawaii, St. Thomas has been a great fit. In comparison to Hawaii, it is much closer, far easier, and affordable to travel home. With a little one in tow while flying, I'm glad we don't have to battle a major time difference or long flight home. Overall, we are settling into our new home happily.


No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio