10.09.2014

First case

10.09.2014

Last week, I hit a major lull. It was a great week leading up to Friday afternoon, when I found myself missing our norm back in Philadelphia. I wasn't kicking and screaming to get off this island or even discontent with our life here. A wave of nostalgia came over me, leaving me to feel like finishing the carton of non-dairy ice cream was a brilliant idea. A bit homesick. The fact is, it has been a great few months and I haven't had any negative feelings. I haven't had the major adjustment as I did upon moving to Philadelphia. I have fully embraced our move and transition with happy sand filled arms.

By no means am I wanting to complain, my heart is so full and I am thankful. I'm living a dream in paradise.

With that said, here is what I'd do with a week or two in Philadelphia - the last place we called home.

I'd grab a city view with my lavender latte on a crisp fall day. I would be wearing my favorite scarf paired with a light tee to embrace the slightly cooler temps. Strolling down the street, I'd pop into my favorite stores and come out with perfect pick-me-ups. After, I'd walk down the historic streets of Society Hill admiring the perfectly -scaped window boxes and planters making my way to the park with Wells. I'd chum it up with my favorite Philly mom friends and their littles. We'd share snacks, laughs, and the common need for more sleep. Parting ways, Wells would nap while I people watch in Rittenhouse or Washington Square. I'd shake my head at the dog strollers coming and going. I would give an eye roll with slight amazement to the hipster hippies that are tightroping. After grabbing a babysitter, we may tour a museum, watch an indie film, or catch a live band.

The next day, I'd head to Longwood Gardens with Wells and Ted like we did last year. Our hearts would leap with all the fall colors, trees, leaves, and sunshine. After having our fill of the bountiful gardens, we would head to my old stomping grounds at Terrain. Eat and shop, then back to Philly popping over to see how Milkshake, the pig, at Greensgrow is doing. Around the corner, we'd have a full table of friends at Memphis Taproom and I would order every single appetizer.

Another day, another sip. Coffee curbside, at Parc with croque monsieur for breakfast. A city walk, running into friends who are stressed to their wits end deep in PA school -cough, cough, you know who you are. From there, we'd head over to the Italian market to pick up fresh curds, duck prosciutto, pate', buffalo lemon ricotta, aged balsamic, and take a few hits of olive oil. Not enough food yet, so we would head over to Reading Terminal, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods to shop delicious local meats, sausages, and lush produce. I'd pick up crazy things, just because it is available, like saffron, fresh lavender, truffle oil, and tons honeycomb.

After all the grazing, I'd like nothing more than to prop my feet in a cushy recliner at the Marlton theater and see a good movie. We'd arrive early and watch all the previews. I'd cook fresh duck at a friends house and we'd sip wine before heading out to start a fire. Beers are next. Good IPA's. Good friends. Good laughs. And, a good night.

We'd sit at all of our favorite look out spots viewing the city from up high. Walking through the city, we'd run into our homeless friend, Joe. He would give us a ear full of all the latest in street news. We'd enjoy it. He'd promise to come visit St. Thomas and we would nod along. Exchanging email addresses again, we'd head out and sit around a fountain. Wells would love seeing the water dancing in the air.

We would fit in a few more eats before coming back to St. Thomas including but not limited to: Dinic's roast pork. Tired Hands for current brews, baloney sandwich, and house pickles. Kanella, for any meal of the day. Amish blueberry fritters. Cheese plate at Talula's. Italian Diablo from Primohoagies. Fried chicken and donuts from Federal Dunuts (heaven).

Wells would enjoy several neighborhood parks, people watching, Smith Playground, and Please Touch. I'd enjoy a long overdue girls night out. Ted would be in beer heaven and take his long board out on the streets. We would all enjoy picking apples and trying to pick up big pumpkins. We'd appreciate flowers greeting us in the grocery story and Chick-fil-A.

Until next time Philadelphia, I'll just keep dreaming up my next visit.

I may need an extra stomach to fit all the eats in.

No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio