2.18.2014

How To Start An Instagram Shop

2.18.2014

I started From Wells a few months ago after I starting shopping for clothes on instagram. My friend, Amy, introduced me to the whole world of instagram shopping right after I had Wells. It has been such an easy way to buy and sell clothes. I thought I'd give a brief overview of how to start your own shop with what I've learned.

Create An Account.
I created a new instagram account just for my buying and selling, From Wells. Write a brief description of your shop in your bio. Mine reads: Mama (@tohman) to Wells. First Paypal email wins. Kindly pay within 12 hours. Shop policies listed below. US only + Happy shopping!

Write A Bio.
Post a picture and tell a little bit about you and your family. It's a personal touch and I think it helps.

Shop Polocies.
Have a clear picture with clear policies.

Example of my policies: Leave paypal email to claim item. Questions are honored with email. Back-up emails are welcomes. Once item is claimed, pay within 12 hours. Please ask questions about shop policies below. Shipping two times a week (Tuesday and Saturday) Claimed items will be weighed and shipping rate will be added before invoiced. Check #fromwellsshipping for USPS first class postage rates. From Wells is not responsible for lost items and does not accept returns. Thank you for shopping our closet.

Shipping Rates.
Printing shipping labels as home is said to be the cheapest and easiest way. I haven't printed at home but I do weigh items in an order before invoicing. I add shipping to the invoice. *Be sure to weigh everything, item and packaging.* I price based about USPS weight prices. USPS charges $1.05 for tracking on an item. Tracking when printing shipping label on Paypal is free. Paypal also has cheaper shipping rates. I hope to start printing at home and shipping through Paypal soon. When I do, I'll post about how it works and any other useful information.

Feedback. 
Post a clear picture for customers to come and give you feedback. This will help as you gain a following and people can see other shops that have ordered through you.

Instagram Terminology.
When you are posting a item, most shops use terms to define the quality or wear on the piece being sold. Here is a list of terms:

EUC excellent used condition
NWT new with tags
NWOT new without tags
WNW washed never worn
GUC good used condition
RTTS runs true to size
RB runs big
ISO in search of

Items For Sale. 
Take a photo of your items in natural sun light and against a sold background. I lay items on a big white board when taking pictures. I'd avoid using a background with a pattern and that is busy. I write a info sheet about items that I can reference when posting a sale. Condition, brand, size, and price.

Picking items that you want to post for sale. There are items that are always wanted like leggings or trendy items. Items that are just okay don't sell as well. I buy from Zara Baby, Etsy shops, and H&M because I know I can resell these items. It makes shopping more affordable. Some people save items for their next child and I see the logic in that. My thought is, I can either save our clothes and buy the next sizes up out of my pocket now. Or I can sell our current clothes and buy next size with earnings. When I have my next child, I will have to start up our closet with out of pocket money.

I also struggle with selling items that people have given us but if we do not fit them or aren't using them than why not. I feel a little awkward about it. I'm very appreciative of gifts from my friends and family. I hope everyone understands that by selling an item we don't fit in, we buy one that we do.

Instagram shopping is fun and easy. It's a great community of moms that are looking to outfit there little loves. I'll be back to share Part 2: Building a following, how to find shops, share for shares, hashtags, shipping, packaging, paypal invoices, giveaways, sold archives, and invoice memos.  If you have questions about starting or maintaining an instagram shop, comment below.


No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio