2.12.2015

WEaned.

2.12.2015
We weaned.

A month ago, I really didn't see the end. I was freaking out a little inside. I felt like I was in over my head. Wells loved breastfeeding and I had no idea how he would respond to weaning. And, as I shared last month, I had loved it too. Breastfeeding is definitely a two way relationship and I knew I was ready to be done. So, we planned and executed. Now that I'm on the other side, it seemed extremely easy and I savored our last sessions. I wish I would have been writing nursing notes like Eat Sleep Cuddle the entire time. What a great idea. Maybe with baby #2!

Week one. Since we have never really followed a schedule, I didn't have certain times to drop. I decided that from noon until bedtime - No milk. The first week was tough. Real tough. He didn't understand completely and didn't like this new concept. He would cry and throw fights. After a few days, he knew if he asked that I'd say no milk, but we can cuddle. That seemed to start working for us.

Week two. I was going to tackle everything other than going to sleep (naps and bedtime), but I decided I'd tackle nights first. I thought it would take more energy, but to my surprise it was extremely easy. The first night, he cried and cried when I told him 'no milk love' and wouldn't let me hold him initially. He'd walk around the room and cry hysterically. It was hard. After a little while, he would come back and let me cuddle him to sleep. The second night he just cried as we cuddled and went back to bed pretty fast. On night three, he didn't wake up once and hasn't been waking at all. Two nights and weaned at night. *now I only wake up several times a night to pee... ah hem, baby #2*

Week three. I cut the feeding right before bedtime. The previous two weeks I stopped feeding Wells to bed or in bed. I would feed him in the living room and talk to him while he breastfed. It was a sweet time. Ted's involvement made this a piece of cake, because after I fed him, he would take him in the room to read books and go to bed. No meltdowns and easy adjustment.

Week four. He barely noticed I took out the morning feeding before his nap. It is harder now for me to put him down for a nap, but I'm currently eliminating his morning nap and switching it to a afternoon nap which has been successful. Cheers for a longer nap at a time when I can nap too!

Four weeks. And my babe is weaned. My heart goes out to mothers who are weaning especially a toddler. Wells eats real food like there is no tomorrow even more now than before. It's like having a teenager in my house. He hasn't asked to breastfeed and I truly believe it clicked for him.

In the year and a half of breastfeeding, I pumped a total of three days while I was going through surgery. I never gave or washed a bottle for Wells. Breastfeeding for us was easy and most comfortable. I started off using a cover when in public, but as Wells grew I felt like it was unnecessary. I couldn't have survived the first six weeks without the support of my husband, friends that bring fresh cabbage leaves, my local Le Leche League lactation consultant, and courage to work through over supple issues resulting in painful clogged ducts and a few rounds of mastitis. The pain of the first few weeks was toe curling and absolutely dreadful. I applaud breastfeeding mothers everywhere for working through problems, pain, and people who try to shame you for breastfeeding a toddler (had some who thought I should quit at six months). Cheers to you!



On February 7, 2015, I breastfeed my 18 month old (and 10 days) for the last time.

Tears,

Proud Momma.

No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio