8.24.2015

Naming Our Daughter

8.24.2015

Before we found out Wells was a boy, we had two top girl names. Poppy was one of them.

Years ago, I had interviewed with a sweet Australian couple who had a little girl named Poppy. I thought it was such a sweet name. It was feminine, simple, straightforward for spelling yet unfamiliar as a first name (in America for the most part).

You may remember, if you've been following my blog for awhile, that I used to have a online resell shop called Popsy.

After finding out we were pregnant with baby number two, we picked Poppy as the frontrunner. We loved our other name, but ultimately picked Poppy early on in my pregnancy and kept it a secret for the most part. (We did better at keeping Wells's name a secret. This time we slipped with friends here and there.) It is different than when we named Wells. I had such a strong feeling about his name with the meaning and significance. With Poppy, it was more of an oh so cute feeling. I still teetered with our other name at times, but Ted was always sold on Poppy.

Her middle name, Emmaline (pronounced EM-mah-LINE not leen), is a nod to my great grandmother Emma. My granny was an amazing baker, had a wonderful green thumb with a lush garden, loved to play cards, and had tons of spunk. I take after her in my appearance and always felt a special connection with her.

I had wanted to add in a second middle name, but Ted overruled it. She would have been Poppy Emmaline Grace, but I wasn't a fan of her initials being PEGO either.

Poppy symbolizes sleep and peace. She is living up to it because she is such a peaceful baby and sleeps so well - lets keep this going! Poppy also symbolizes death and signifies a promise of life after death. I pray she comes to saving faith in Jesus Christ and has that promise of eternal life. Emmaline means whole.

Okay, let me just say, I was apprehensive about naming her Poppy in fear of everyone always buying things with Poppies on it. My name means palm tree, but I don't want everything with a palm tree imprinted on it. Instead, if you see something with Poppies think of my little babe and how sweet she is. That is what I plan to do, wink. I did find one adorable swaddle blanket from Little Unicorn with poppy flowers. It is perfect. Like most things, I'm picky. Sorry, not sorry. If Poppy grows up to love everything with her flower on it than rules will change.

Can I just say that I was surprised to find out Jenna Bush Hager named her new baby Poppy. I am happy that she did. I am also happy Poppy was born two weeks earlier, wink wink. I also didn't know there was a reporter on CNN named Poppy, how cool.  

We love our island babe, Poppy Emmaline, a peaceful little girl.

No comments :

Tamara Ohman + BLOG DESIGN BY Labinastudio